With the beauty industry fully invested in the benefits of Argan Oil for skin and hair care, most of us are aware that this is a powerful natural oil, high in anti-oxidants.
But the story doesn’t stop there because the same components that are absorbed by our skin to nourish and protect cell health are proving to have a significant impact on our health from the inside too. And I am talking about something more than a wholesome diet with a drizzle or a dip of nutty-flavored salad oil.
If you look up Argan Oil on the internet, you will most likely find sources talking about two distinct grades: cosmetic and culinary. The principle difference between the two is that the cosmetic grade is made from raw Argan nuts and the culinary oil is made from roasted nuts, which make for a yummier flavour.
But there is, in fact, a third, edible-grade, pure raw oil that is lesser-known and it is this oil that we handle at Absolute Essential. We are not interested in either of the other two kinds because the heat involved in roasting nuts for culinary oil does not produce a pure therapeutic-grade result. And, although raw, cosmetic oil does not have such stringent handling standards and will often have some added ingredient to neutralise its natural green-nut scent.
That is not to say that the studies that show significant health-benefits from ingesting culinary Argan oil are not correct. Rather…
- a raw oil will contain more pure-state nutrients than a possibly heat-damaged oil
- a raw oil, handled at strict hygiene standards for consumption, will contain an even greater potential for boosting natural health and healing, which means
- a raw oil can work to promote vibrant health both inside and outside your body
What is in Argan oil that makes it so great for natural health?
- Vitamin E – the fat-soluble vitamin that protects nutrient levels and is famed for its powerful antioxidant and free-radical scavenging properties. Indicated in aiding against heart disease, it is also linked with the prevention of cancer and degenerative disease.
- Prostaglandin – comes from an enzyme reaction with fatty acids and prompts processes involved in heart rate, blood pressure, muscle control, circulation and immunity. It is an anti-inflammatory and a controlling factor in cell growth and development.
- Carotenoids – a fat-soluble substance that protects against UV radiation and free-radical damage. It supports immunity, healthy skin and protects against cancer-cell growth. Also protects heart and arteries and inhibits cholesterol damage.
- Polyphenols – active compounds with antiseptic, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergenic and anti-aging properties. They are indicated in improved immune responses, efficient inter-cellular exchange, DNA repair and natural detox.
- Ferulic Acid – an antioxidant that protects against UV damage, lowers blood glucose levels, reduces cholesterol and has been indicated in protecting against cancer, bone degeneration and menopause symptoms.
- Squalene - a nutrient-rich, skin-compatible, fat-soluble antioxidant. It has been shown to deactivate free radicals that occur from UV exposure and to bind to toxins to aid detox processes. It is a natural anti-bacterial healer used for dermatitis and skin cancer.
- Sterols – fatty compounds that improve metabolic activity and ease inflammation. They are easily absorbed, enhance natural hydration and protect the skin’s natural barrier. Known to inhibit cholesterol absorption, they also have anti-cancer properties.
What are the benefits of ingesting raw Argan oil?
Studies in recent years have put Argan oil on the table as a serious health-promoting substance. It has been indicated to:
- help lower cholesterol
- enhance circulation
- help balance blood sugar levels and lower the body’s resistance to insulin
- help relieve the pain of rheumatism and arthritis
- fortify immunity
- help prevent cancer
- help protect the body from inflammatory and cardiovascular disease
Since I come from a family with a history of heart disease, you can be sure that I have fully embraced organic Argan oil into my own diet to improve my chances for a long happy life.
Quite apart from helping you to grow old more healthily, this simple change to your dietary routine will do wonders for your skin-health and natural vitality too.
How do I use organic, pure, raw Argan oil to promote good health?
A therapeutic dose of Argan oil to help with specific health issues is between 15 and 30ml a day (1-2 tablespoons).
A daily maintenance dose is 3 to 6ml a day.
For more than a teaspoon, you can incorporate it into your diet by drizzling and dipping, or in salad dressings.
I make up my salad dressing a litre at a time and keep it to hand in the fridge. My mega good-oils base consists of:
- 500 ml Organic Avocado Oil
- 250ml Organic Olive Oil
- 100ml Organic Argan Oil
- 125ml Organic Flax Seed
- 25ml Organic Evening Primrose Oil.
This will absolutely take care of all your Omega needs, keep you regular, and enhance your moods, plus of course you will be investing in the best natural health insurance you can buy.
You can also try experimenting with such yummy things as nut butters (recipe adapted from NYTimes Recipes):
- 8 ounces of toasted almonds
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- ½ a cup of pure, raw Argan oil
- ¼ cup of honey
Grind the almonds with salt to a smooth paste, work in Argan oil, little by little, until smooth and creamy, then add the honey.
Or a simple, healthy smoothie which you can make to your own favorite choices. Here are mine:
- 1 banana
- 1 cup blue berries
- 2 cups Almond Milk
- 1 tablespoon of Spirulina & LSA
- 1-3 Teaspoon Argan Oil
Blend and drink fresh for breakfast.
Note: The Argan Oil at Absolute Essential comes from an authentic Women’s co-operative in Morocco that supports fair wages and progressive working conditions.
Medicinal-grade essential oils must be 100% pure. At Absolute Essential we use certified organic or wild grown (sustainable) plants to produce our oils and all extraction processes are strictly controlled to produce the best quality oil with a maximum purity and therapeutic value.See more at Absolute Essential.